Tuesday, May 29, 2012

coveted tag

after waiting forever, nevada dept of wildlife finally posted the draw results. i found out i drew a mule deer tag in a trophy area, an antelope tag in a trophy area, and a highly coveted bull elk tag. there are guys that have been putting in for 30 plus years for my area and have never drawn it. they only hand out 18 tags and the draw odds are 1-11. out of 400 plus applicants for my area i was one of the lucky ones. this is a once in a lifetime tag. i can never put in for this for the rest of my life. needless to say, i havent slept a wink hardly cause of the excitement. all the guys at work still cant believe i drew it. its in the jarbidge wilderness in northeast nevada. the largest wilderness area in the state. most of the bulls that are taken are over the 370" mark. its tough, rugged country that most say you need horses. i guess ill be packing what i can on my back and going in as deep as i can go and staying there till i get a bull. it will be extremely hard, tough hunting but since that its a lifetime opportunity, i believe its worth it. you can google jarbidge, nv and see some pics of the most beautiful, rugged steep country God ever made. some canyons are 4,000 ft deep and there are several peaks over 10,000'. i got my work cut out for me, but i plan on spending a few weekends up there between now and the end of august scouting it out. i plan to take a wall tent and set it up at the trailhead and make that my base camp. ill take a tent and food and water in with me on my back and when i get low of rations, ill hike back out to the base camp for food and water. the sources say youll hike all day to get in to where the elk are and once your there you will have to stay there for as long as your supplies last. its too far to hike in and out. if it were easy, it wouldnt be as rewarding. it would be nice to have a big ol bull on my wall and know that everytime i look at him i can reflect on the trials i endured to tag out. im not getting any younger so there is no time like the present to get er done. wish me luck, cause as of august 30th, ill be a mountain man for 10 days!

No comments: