Saturday, March 21, 2009

What started out as a walk........

It's supposed to rain or snow later today and the clouds have been rolling in. So, I decided to seize the opportunity and take the dogs for a longer walk on a new route. They always enjoy walks, but they seemed to enjoy it even more today. They explored a park, saw llamas, played in a little creek and met a few new dogs along the way. Not to mention they got to "mark" all over new territory. They were running all over, so excited. In fact, they were so excited that their butts were actually wagging, not just their tails! By the last stretch I was worn out. I decided to take what looked like a short cut, through the trees. The dogs loved it, but after pushing my way in between limbs a few times I decided my idea was not a good one. Once I got back to the paved area I leashed the dogs. Not because of cars coming by, but because I needed all the help I could get climbing a big hill. I thought of the iditarod competitions and felt like Holly and Roxy were my sled dogs, minus the sled and snow. Holly really impressed me because she kept up a good pace the entire walk and was able to pull me up the hill a little. Even on the very last hill, I had to stop and rest (I had unleashed the dogs by then, deciding to "Cowgirl Up" and make it on my own!) but she only stopped to "check in" on me. Then she'd see me start walking again and be on her way. Now that we're home I am the one with more energy. Both dogs are crashed out and I'm in the process of turning the office into a nursery by organizing and cleaning. But, after lunch, I plan to reward myself the way Holly and Roxy are by taking a long afternoon nap myself!

No comments: