Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Baby Seal on Board

Saturday night I was lulled to sleep by Preston coughing. I figured it was from all the smoke at the RibFest but Rob said he was up with him until 1:30. (How I slept through this I do not know. Guess I sleep harder than I thought!) Sunday morning his cough was bad and his nose was a mess. It progressively got worse throughout the day and yesterday. This morning when he woke up he sounded like a baby seal. He's lost most of his voice so he croaks when he cries and tries to talk. As much as I love hearing him talk, the perpetual "inside voice" has been kind of nice today. I took him to the pediatrician and was told he has croup. Ordinarily he could be given a steroid and things would be better within a few days. However, with Preston's immune system the way it is, our pediatrician opted for the old fashion remedy. Whenever Preston gets to coughing a lot I'm supposed to steam up the bathroom and take him in there for as long as we both can handle it. I tried it this afternoon and it seemed to work a little. Between that and taking him out in the cool night air to open his airways, I was told I should see result within a few days. If I don't then we'll figure out Plan B. I may be the next baby seal as our pediatrician said I sounded hoarse myself and croup is pretty contagious within a family. "Ar...Ar....Ar....Ar...."

1 comment:

Rachel said...

is he getting better now? You may try Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net). i know alot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious coughs.

apprently ( according to the instruction) children from 2 to 12 can use it.