Saturday, March 27, 2010

Da Run

This morning Michelle and I conquered our second 5k. I say conquered because it's the coldest I've ever been since living in Reno. It was 27 degrees with a wind chill factor thrown in. Luckily, I grabbed my snowboard beenie before heading out the door. The race was under way and we made our way forward, pushing past the overweight walkers that started the race at the same time (I think there should be different starts for different categories). At first I was bummed because the start of the race was congested and slowed us down quite a bit. But the further we ran the more pumped up I became. I thought just the opposite would happen since my only form of exercise since Tuesday has been stuffing sugar cookies in the mouth. Maybe that's the trick though because I felt great! I even took off my beenie and hoodie halfway through because I was warming up and enjoying the morning chill. Unfortunately Michelle pulled a back muscle somewhere around the middle of the race. She contemplated walking but pushed through the pain. At the finish I did my usual sprint, putting me about 30 seconds in front of Michelle. When it was all said and done we were a minute behind last week's time. (My dad said they didn't start the race until the clock had 10 seconds on it which doesn't seem fair either) But, given the start of the race, I think we actually improved our time. I felt so good I could've run another mile or so but instead I climbed back into my warm car and drove to the donut shop where my parents and I rewarded ourselves with a delicious donut! Another 5k under our belt and feeling great......

No comments: