Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Hero



I got the privilege of being part of my dad's retirement festivities this week. I use the word "privilege" because I am so proud of my dad and his accomplishments in life. He's been my hero as long as I can remember....someone I've always looked up to as a father, husband and now a grandpa. Both my brother and I are quick to go to him if we need sound advice or a listening ear. In fact, if you take out the word LOVE in 1Cor.13:4-7 it would describe my dad perfectly. My dad is..." patient, kind, is not envious, is not boastful or proud. He is not rude or self seeking and does not get easily angered. He keeps no records of wrong, does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. He always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres." In my eyes my dad is the most perfect human on Earth. He leads by example and does not judge. He works hard and ALWAYS puts everyone else before himself.
I learned this week, however, that I am not the only person that sees him in this way. On Monday he had a retirement luncheon. My family and I walked into a conference room that was standing room only....and they were only serving pizza and coke. Everyone kept coming up to me and telling me what I already know....my dad is a great man. It really sunk in Tuesday, though. He had a going away reception and people couldn't even get into the room because so many people had shown up. People who had retired years ago came for the celebration because my dad was that influential in their life. Several people got up to talk about my dad and the impact he's had on their life. My brother ended the speeches with one of his own, a heartfelt one that portrayed my dad perfectly. He talked about how calm my dad is, how nothing ruffles him, how his family always comes first, how he is a role model. He told stories that reflected my dad's character, one of integrity and dedication. It was my honor to be part of the festivities, learning that he's influenced so many with his life.
I would love to tell him "Happy Retirement" but I can't. I can't because he is going back to work.....tomorrow! He enjoyed retirement for one day and will go back as a consultant (there's a fancy name for his title but I can't remember-or spell-it) tomorrow. He was going to take an entire week off before going back part time but an emergency came up and his predecessor has other things to deal with. So, Dad, I hope you enjoyed your one day of retirement, that it was everything you hoped for and then some! We love you and are proud of you!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said...my hero too! Mom

Anonymous said...

Only as He lives in me! Love, Dad

Andrew Hayes said...

Very touching! My father's my INSPIRATION and my HERO also! And if ever I'll be given a chance to have some "Privilege speech" for him, I would gladly do it. He will always be in my heart like you. =]