Sunday, March 14, 2010

In Loving Memory

Yesterday Preston and I made it over the mountain to go to a memorial service. I can't say I'm a fan of mourning friends' deaths but I thought the service was beautifully put together. The thing I enjoyed, other than the slideshow, was people's testimonies. The thing that kept getting brought up was what a Godly man John was, one that put others before himself. It got me thinking on my drive back today about how many men I could say that about. There's not many that have one of those qualities let alone both of them. It seems like the more people have the more self centered they get. But, that wasn't the case with John. I learned that he could've chosen several different jobs that paid more but he chose the one he enjoyed, one where he made lifelong friends. He devoted his life to serving others even in small gestures. One of my friends got up and shared about how, when his mom was dying a couple months ago, John showed up with coffee and just sat with him for awhile. It's things like that that go a long way, that made his memory that much more memorable. John made the most of life, giving to others and creating memories that his family will continue to reflect on. Even though John's not with us anymore his loving memory will always live on because his time on Earth effected so many!

No comments: