Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lesson Learned, Thank You!

Ruby has been back home for 9 days and, for the most part, she's a completely different dog. But, as Rob likes to remind me often, I'm probably a little too soft on her. I put too much trust in her because of the intensive training she got. That theory came back to bite me in the butt this morning. She's supposed to have her shock collar on every time she's out of her crate. But, in the morning, I let her out to do her business and then I bring her back in until I leave for work. It hasn't been a problem for the past week....until today. I let her and Holly out and was standing right there watching them when they both vanished into thin air. My theory is this: a couple nights ago Holly had an accident in the house so we decided that she needs to sleep in the garage now. Last night was her first night in the garage so I think the dogs were in cahoots with an escape this morning. They probably could've pulled it off. I even got in the Yukon, driving around, yelling for them. I called Rob and told him the dogs were gone. I was mad as all get out and kept telling P that the doggies were bad girls. After P finished his breakfast, Rob called for an update. In the middle of talking to him Ruby appeared at the top of the driveway. I dropped the phone and ran to the door to yell for her. She and Holly came back, wagging their tails. But as soon as they stepped into the house they both knew they had screwed up. P even piped in and yelled, "Bad Girls!". I was furious with the dogs but I was even more mad at myself. I was mad that I had put too much trust into Ruby. But, I learned my lesson. She will not leave the garage without both her pinch collar and her shock collar until she matures and earns our trust. Until then I guess she and I will both learn from this experience!

No comments: