Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gotta Love Golf!


Awhile ago Rob and I were talking about hobbies and how we enjoy his hobbies but not mine. Mine are a little harder enjoy with people because I enjoy reading, running, writing and photography. But, I've enjoyed golf for the past 6-7 years. Granted I haven't played in 4 years but I still love it. So, I was surprised when Rob suggested that we play during my break. He's never played and he's usually not open to new adventures. But he tried it...and loved it! The game didn't start out all that good. We were partnered with a 84 year old man and his youngest grandson. They swore they hadn't golfed in forever but when they teed off they proved otherwise. Rob thought I was an experienced golfer but he learned otherwise when we got to the 1st hole. He asked what club to use when teeing off and I quietly told him, "Let's see what everyone else uses.". Then I couldn't get the ball over the minuscule fence directly in front of the tee off area. Rob teed off and the ball landed in between 2 trees. The guys parked their cart behind where Rob was, patiently waiting for him to hit again. Rob joked about hitting the ball off the tree when low and behold he did just that. The guys ducked as Rob's golf ball whizzed by their golf cart. After that Rob hit a long shot....into a ditch. The other part of our foursome politely said that they'd like to play through. Rob and I were both happy to hear this as it gave us the freedom to take our time at each hole. Well, I say "we" but really it was "I". Rob played speed golf. I guess he thinks whoever gets the ball into the hole the fastest wins! He did slow down at about the 5th hole and then learned that you use different irons for different distances. From that point on, he did REALLY well. I did ok but it definitely wasn't my best game. In the end, Rob lost 2 golf balls and I hit 2 trees but we had a blast. Rob now has the "Golf Bug" and can't wait to get back out there. Who knows? He may be getting fitted for a green jacket soon! :)

No comments: