Monday, October 24, 2011

Fun or Not so Much?

On Thursday I picked P up from preschool and we met up with some moms and kids from my Bible Study at the pumpkin patch. P had a blast!! His favorite part was riding the mechanical bull and he talked about it nonstop afterwards. Although it was fun to watch, I pray that's not his career choice. After we left the pumpkin patch we headed West to visit my parents for the weekend. Friday morning we woke up to beautiful weather so we decided to go to a "local" pumpkin patch. (It took about an hour to get there) I'd never been there before but I have to say, after going, it is now my favorite pumpkin patch in the Sacramento area. There is sooooo much to do and a variety of pumpkins to choose from. My parents, P and I had such a fun time riding the train, petting the animals, climbing on play structures, going for a pony ride...

After we left the pumpkin patch I met up with a friend for a belated birthday dinner. It was nice to get away and have adult conversation sans a fun loving toddler. I stayed out later than planned but enjoyed every minute (Ok, maybe not when the waiters/waitresses came out with a sombrero and sang "Happy Birthday" but I liked the rest)

The rest of the weekend was a different story. Saturday I could tell P wasn't feeling well because he didn't eat any breakfast (Always the first big sign!). My parents and I wanted to take P to ride the Halloween train downtown but as the day wore on it was obvious we weren't going to be doing much. In all honesty I was rather scared because we couldn't get his fever to break and he slept way more than usual. By night my mom was giving him a sponge bath because he wouldn't get back in a lukewarm bath. We debated whether to take him to Urgent Care but decided to see how the rest of the night went. Fortunately, P slept through the night but yesterday morning we left early to head back home. I called the local Pediatrics Urgent Care and they asked me to bring him in even though his fever had gone down. Rob met us there and after waiting an hour, it was determined that he has strep.

P is an AWESOME patient and I attribute most of that to the fact that he's been through so much already in his young life. He takes medicine without a problem and just wants to cuddle when he's not feeling good. But last night I got a taste of what it's like to have a not so awesome patient. P kept spitting out his meds. By the third time, Rob gave them to him and he was able to get P to keep them down. (YAY!) Around midnight P woke up and was inconsolable. After I thought he was asleep I went back to bed only to hear him crying a few minutes later. I went back in and couldn't get him to stop crying so I told him I'd stay in his room for the night if he stopped crying. It took awhile but he finally stopped. This morning he woke up super early when Rob was getting ready for work so I had him crawl into bed with me. Once he woke up for good a couple hours later he seemed no worse for the wear. His fever has broken and, although he doesn't want to eat, he has more energy than he has since Saturday.

Here are some pictures from the fun times at the pumpkin patches........




No comments: