Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween Mayhem


As I write this, I can hear P in his room, playing. It's past his bedtime but I knew tonight would be a challenge. Why, you ask? Because this evening we went to 2 Halloween events.
Ever since he woke up this morning, P has been talking about wearing his costume and getting a sucker. But when it came time to go to school he flat out refused to wear any of his costumes (Yes, he has more than one!). I had told him that if he wore his costume to school he'd get a treat (That was my understanding from his teachers). He was bummed, to say the least, when we found out I was wrong! I picked him up early from school and told him if he took a good nap we'd go to our church's trunk or treat and get candy. I think he didn't really believe me after he didn't get a sucker-or any treat-at school but he played along. Lucky for him because the first thing he was given when we got to the trunk or treat was a sucker! He was so excited and proudly held it up for everyone to see. After playing a few games I talked him in to wearing his costume so he could get more candy. He'd go to each car that was giving out candy and said, "Trick or treat. Sucker!". It worked because that boy has more suckers than he'll probably be able to eat. He already ate 3 for dinner and had 1 for dessert. Hence the reason he's not going to bed.
From there we went to his school for their Harvest Festival. It was fun but super crowded. P tried to wear his Thomas costume that I made him but he was having trouble moving around. So we took it off and he wore his signature cowboy hat instead (although he now calls it his bull hat). His favorite part of the Harvest Festival was the bouncy house with the slide that his teachers were manning. I believe that he would've gone down it all night had I let him. But, alas, I told him it was time to go. I was so proud of him, how well he listened and how he acted like a big boy all the way around.
Tomorrow we'll continue the Halloween festivities by carving one of his many pumpkins, going to a neighborhood Halloween party and eating a sucker or two.

No comments: