Monday, October 17, 2011

Funny Monkey

I dread the days immediately following Rob going out of town because P has meltdowns and behavior problems. But today, with the exception of 2 meltdowns, it was a calm day. We didn't have anything planned so I decided to attempt potty training again. I spent A LOT of time sitting on the stepping stool in the bathroom, reading potty books to P while encouraging him to "go potty like a big boy". One time he was on the potty for about 20 minutes without going. As soon as he stepped outside the bathroom he pee'd all over the carpet. This happened 3 times so I deemed it a failure (not him but the potty training for the day). Towards the end of the day I was trying different tactic in hopes of getting him to go. At one point I mimicked going to the bathroom and made a "potty face". He imitated me, but looked more like a professional wrestler, his face turning beet red. I laughed so hard and that egged him on so he even posed for the camera (which I can use for blackmail later in life!)
We also took a walk today that had the same effect as potty training....tested my patience and made me laugh. I wanted to wear him out before his nap so I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk around the block. He did so we set out with the dogs. Because we live in a rural area you can hear every little sound that's out of the norm. P kept thinking he had heard a car coming so he'd run to the nearest ditch and take a seat, all the while yelling "Car coming!". What should've been a 15 minute walk turned into about 45 minutes. I loved it but after awhile I got tired of trying to convince our son that a car was not coming.
Most of the day he's had me laughing. I enjoy days like this, especially when I've been in the mindset for something completely different. It's a nice- and very welcome- surprise!

No comments: