Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Japanese or Americanese?

Growing up, I was good friends with a Japanese girl. I loved having dinner at her house for 2 reasons. 1) Her mom was a great cook! and 2) Her family ate REALLY loud, which always made me giggle (A sign in Japan that the meal is good). I think of this often in regards to Preston, although I no longer giggle when I hear lip smackers. He is such a big boy he can put his paci in his mouth without any help. But, once he gets it in he sucks on it SOOOO loud as if he wants us to know he accomplished his goal. When he sucks on his fingers he does so loud enough for the neighbors to hear. He has a teether mesh thing that I put frozen fruit in for him to gnaw on at dinner(food + cold= satisfied baby). He makes so much noise chomping on it that I usually take it away from him before he's done. Lip smacking when eating is now a pet peeve. In my book it's as bad as when someone scrapes their teeth on their fork when they put food in their mouth. I can handle it once in a great while but at every meal it grates on my nerves. Preston's lip smacking is one of the few things I don't find endearing about him. Hopefully he'll grow out of it once he gets teeth and doesn't produce the river of saliva that he does now. Then again, maybe he was born in the wrong culture???? =)

No comments: