Sunday, November 21, 2010

Friends as Family

Growing up, my brother and I did not have family close by. But we weren't short on love by any means. We grew up in a small church full of elders that wanted to "adopt" us, which I am so thankful for. I remember Grandma Clara and Grandpa Bob, Uncle Roy and Aunt Francis, and Nana Thelma all making a special place in their hearts for us. My brother and I would go to their homes and all I really remember about our visits is that none of the homes had a lot of knick knacks and they were all dark inside. But, all of them had fun backyards. Looking back as an adult, I realize all of my "grandparents" grew up during the Depression so worldly things didn't matter much. They kept their homes dark to save money on their electric bill. It's funny how perspective changes as you grow older and mature. One thing that stands out more than that was how they went above and beyond for our family. Grandpa Bob and Grandma Clara had us over for picnics and Grandpa Bob would take me to his work shed to show us projects. Aunt Francis always seemed to have something baking when we went to their house. Nana Thelma had me over for special lunches and would give us pomegranates from her tree. Even today when I see pomegranates in the store I think about her and what a special treat it was when she gave them to us. Another thing I remember is how all of them were so strong in their faith. They were in church every time the doors were open, never worried about death because they knew without a shadow of a doubt where they were going. That's a good thing because Nana Thelma, the last of my grandparents went to be with the Lord today. Towards the end of her life she was in a nursing home and had dementia. We'd laugh when we went to visit her because it was like "50 First Dates". She never really grasped the concept of who Preston was but it didn't stop her from making things for him.
You know I've said that I had such a special Nana and Papa (my mom's parents) that I don't want P to have a Nana and a Papa. But, after reflecting today, I realized that it would be an honor for P to have a Nana and Papa as special as mine. We didn't just have two sets of grandparents. I'm thankful that we had a whole slew of them that loved us unconditionally. P has LOTS of "aunts" and "uncles" here, in CA and in MS but he doesn't have any grandparent type figures other than mine and Rob's parents. So I pray that he will have those special relationships with grandparent type folks because it's nice to have loved ones close when other family doesn't live close by.

No comments: