Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rights and Rejection

I'm loving this month of gratitude because it helps me to be more thankful for things. Yesterday I was exploring with Preston, thankful for seeing the world through his eyes. This morning when I woke up I was thankful for the heater keeping us warm.
But today's blog is going to focus on two opposite things I'm thankful for. The first thing I'm thankful for is my right to vote. When I was younger I didn't take it seriously. I didn't read up on issues and candidates. I'd jump on the bandwagon and vote for the person/issues everyone else was voting for. In college I voted for Ross Perot because I had met him at the university. I didn't know much about where he stood on issues. I just thought he was a cool lil dude. But now that I'm older and wiser (HA!) I take my right to vote seriously. I felt like my voice wasn't heard at the last election for both local and national candidates so I'm hoping this year will be different. Another thing I'm thankful for when it comes to the elections is that by tonight I will no longer have to suffer through those HORRIBLE political commercials, especially the Harry Reid/Sharon Angle ones.
Another thing I'm thankful for is rejection because it's so humbling. I was talking to a good friend of mine yesterday about how easy it is to be cocky. P LOVES books (another thing I'm VERY thankful for) so I read quite a few books to him. Some of them are pretty bad and it makes me think, "If this author can get things printed then I can." Yesterday when I opened the mailbox I saw an envelope from a magazine I had submitted a manuscript at, a story that I was told by my editor/instructor had a lot of potential. So, I was a little bummed when I saw a, "Thanks, but no thanks" letter enclosed. I know it will take A LOT of rejection to get a piece accepted but it still doesn't take away the sting every time I get a "Thanks but no thanks" letter or email.
So, today I don't take my rights or rejection for granted. I'm thankful that God and man uses the opportunity to humble me yet make me appreciate little things even more.

No comments: