Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bird Feeders


While making breakfast this morning- my first attempt at french toast- I noticed that we had some older hamburger buns that I needed to toss. Instead of getting rid of them I thought it'd be fun to take P to the lake to feed the ducks. I've seen people there, enjoying a peaceful time while feeding a handful of ducks. When we got there I specifically looked for an area that only had ducks. Let me digress for a minute..... You see, I remember being chased by geese when I was a young girl. They honked at me, flapped their big wings and tried to peck at me. To this day birds scare me. I don't like pet birds that sit on your finger or wild birds that can swoop down on you in a surprise attack. Back to my story...So, once I found a small flock of ducks we got out and pulled out the bag of bread. Whoah!! Out of nowhere HUNDREDS of birds swarmed us, including geese!! P had a death grip on my leg and was not enjoying the birds invading our space. I started throwing the bread as fast and as far from us as I could. I specifically gave the geese as much as I could to keep the peace. When I got to the last bun I thought, "OK, I'll throw the last piece as far as I can, pick up P and make a run for the car." But I didn't need to worry.

After the last piece was gone the birds just turned away and went about their business. P released his death grip and then started chasing the birds. He was having so much fun chasing after them and watching them take flight. Once there were only a few birds left he decided the fun was over and he'd rather play at the park. It wasn't a peaceful feeding but it was fun and that's all that matters!

No comments: