Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Next Doogie Howser

I love taking P in for his check-ups because I love to get all his stats. Today I was excited to take him because it was the first time since he was 10 days old that he was completely off meds. Much to my delight, I learned that he's finally in the 50th percentile for weight, is still tall (90th percentile) and he has an average sized head. But, what's inside his head is what I learned about. Because he can say 6-7 words AND makes the noises of a few animals our pediatrician informed me that he's verbally advanced. He said that it's not common for 15 mo old boys to know words and animal sounds. I asked the doctor if P is OCD because he freaks out if he gets hair on his hands and will only eat crackers if they're whole but he assured me this is normal. I asked about potty training and he was surprised that P is already showing an interest. He did, however, inform me that I should hold off for a couple more months so it "sticks" when he does learn how to use the potty. After his check-up he got the dreaded vaccinations. His nurse commented, like always, that it surprises her that he never cries when she pokes him with the needle. I then, as always, had to remind her of who P's daddy is and how P is tough because of the first 3-4 months of his life. He's only cried once when he got his 4 or 6 month vaccinations (I can't remember which one). Other than that he's a tough, SMART cowboy!! I'm one proud mama!!

No comments: