Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pumpkin Patch


I like to think of myself as a connoisseur of pumpkins, a trait I get from my mom. She LOVES Halloween, carving the perfect pumpkin each year and baking the seeds. Because of this I have been to my fair share of pumpkin patches over the years. I've been to the best of them. Today was not one of them, not even in the Top 10 Pumpkin Patches. We should've known when a lady walked out and handed us $10 worth of tickets and told us not to waste our time. That being said, it wasn't quite THAT bad. Preston liked the pony ride and it was nice that he was big enough to ride one. The "train" ride lacked a lot...like a train. It consisted of go-cart type boxes latched together. While on the train ride, we got to look at weeds, painted wooden cows and traffic. Real authentic! After the train we went to the "petting zoo". I will digress for a moment to tell you that I was mentally scarred as a child when my mom took me to feed the geese at a local park. They chased after us and were very aggressive. Ever since then I've not been a fan of ANY type of bird. So, when we went into the caged area I was not too sure of the ducks and geese that were running loose. What made the experience even better was a young boy that was chasing the flock, trying to catch one. He finally caught one, proud of himself, and graciously asked if I'd like to pet it. At that point I decided that I'd had enough of the "petting zoo". The animals were dirty and most of them just sat there. I'm sure if they could talk they would've told us they'd rather be any place but there. We ended the experience with P finding his own pumpkin. He wasn't feeling 100% so he wasn't into the whole pumpkin patch fun but he did "pick" a pumpkin. As soon as his daddy helped picked it up, P was off and running. There was a hay area that had very well loved toys that P thought was great fun. Out of all the things at the pumpkin patch, this was by far his favorite! He played in a car for awhile until we told him it was time to go home. On the way to the car, the icing on the cake for me, so to speak, was the VERY inappropriate ADULT song that was blaring in the loud speakers. I made my opinion on their musical selection well known as I walked out and that concluded our pumpkin patch experience. At least P was young enough that he had fun all things considered!

No comments: