Thursday, October 7, 2010

Letter

Dear Papa,
I don't know where else to write this so I guess I'll bare my heart and soul on here. I've really been missing you lately. Something about the fog and overcast weather reminds me on Crescent City, which in turn reminds me of you. I've also thought about Nana's PB pie lately, but luckily mom has the recipe and has made it a few times. Although it's been over 7 years since you've passed, in some ways it seems like just yesterday that I was pulling up to your house, ready for some R&R with two of my most favorite people in the entire world! Other days it seems like forever since I've talked to you or I've received one of your letters that I impatiently waited for each week.
A lot has happened since you've passed. Both Josh and I are married now and I have a son that you'd absolutely adore. You'd have so much fun with him at the park or feeding the horses. Recently I went to a Pentecostal church in a small town where my husband was working. It reminded me so much of your church and I thought that Preston (our son) would've loved the worship time at your church. He LOVES music, loves dancing and has good rhythm! Maybe he'll be a musician like you or his Uncle Josh someday.
I think you'd be proud of how my life has turned out. You were always proud of everything I did and I savored the attention you showered on me as your only granddaughter for over 20 years. But, I think if you were still alive you would be happy with the choices I've made, the kind of mom and wife I am and my career as a teacher (I could be a principal at this point but don't think I want to leave the classroom any time soon).
I often think about going to Crescent City to show Rob and Preston where some of my most favorite memories took place. But, I don't know if I'm strong enough to do that anymore. Going to your grave site when Nana was alive didn't seem as hard. Now that you're both gone I don't know if I can go visit your old house or the place your earthly body is buried.
There are so many things I miss about you and our time together! I miss the 4th of July, our favorite holiday together, and how we'd watch (or participate in) the parade and spend hours finding just the right fireworks to light once the sun went down. I miss taking the money finder out to look for treasures. I miss our drives around town. I miss hearing you get all riled up about Notre Dame and Raiders games. I miss watching Judge Wapner with you (I now watch Judge Alex- I think you'd like him). I miss our walks and talks. But most of all I miss your letters. I miss opening the mailbox and seeing your handwriting (Or Nana's writing later in life when your Parkinson's got too bad to write) on an envelope. I guess that's why I feel the need to write you this letter today. I only wish it was one where I could open the mailbox and find your letter in response.
I love and miss you so much Papa!!!
Love, your oldest granddaughter

No comments: