Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Hallmark Day!


Maybe it's because of my years in the floral industry or maybe it's because of my years being single or maybe it's because of Rob (I'll explain that one in a minute) but I am NOT a fan of today. People give me grief for it but I don't see any valid reason in celebrating your love in a big way one day out of the year. I grew up watching two romantic people share their love on a daily basis. My mom wakes up a little early every morning to make my dad his lunch. Sometimes she even writes him a love note and puts it in there. My dad brings my mom her favorite Starbucks at work when he has the day off or flowers just because. After watching their marriage and all that they do for each other, I've become a hopeless romantic. I love the little every day gestures that say, "I love you" more than overpriced, wilting roses on Valentine's Day when every other person is getting the same thing.
Over the years I came to dread today, mostly because I was usually single. I'd find some other single friends and we'd go out to dinner just so we weren't sitting at home alone. Even when I was in a relationship I dreaded it. I think it all started when I was in 2nd grade and this little boy chased me to my mom's car to give me a pink stuffed dog. I was mortified and it scarred me for life. In recent years when I was in a relationship, it seemed so stressful to find the perfect gift. And usually I was disappointed with what I got in return. For example, one year I got my boyfriend a pricey saw he had been wanting. What I got in return was a bug repellent candle and some slack hangers so I "wouldn't have to waste so much time ironing my work pants". There's only one Valentine's in recent years that I can remember for good reasons. That's pretty sad when I've been around to celebrate 35 of them!
So, when I met Rob I was elated that he used to write me love notes all the time, send me romantic emails telling me all the reasons he loved me, baked me cakes once in awhile, sent me flowers, bought me things that I had mentioned that I wanted just because. I realized I had what my parents had. We didn't need to go all out one day of the year because we said "I love you" every day in small ways that meant so much more. Once I got into NASCAR and realized that opening weekend usually fell on or around Valentine's Day, I told Rob I'd rather celebrate that than the national Hallmark Holiday. So now we give each other a small token of (NASCAR) love and call it a done deal. It's a perfect way for us to share our love in a way we both enjoy!
For those of you reading this, floored by my views, I'd like to suggest that you research the holiday. I looked on 3 different websites yesterday and the bottom line is that no one can pinpoint when or why this holiday started. That, to me, means it's not valid but it's a way for floral companies and Hallmark to make more money. That being said, I celebrate the day with P because I want him to enjoy it. We went to a little Valentine party yesterday with his buddies and today we're going to decorate Valentine cookies. My parents still send us small gifts, cards and a gift card to a local restaurant every year which is very much appreciated. It's not that I don't like love. I just like it every day of the year!

No comments: