Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mother/Son Bonding



Rob chose to work this weekend so P and I have had plenty of bonding time.


Yesterday we spent most of the day outside, enjoying the beautiful weather. We went to the park, where he rode his trike. We also played in our yard for quite awhile, walking around, exploring and throwing rocks into the horse trough. After being outside, we decided to go cheer on P's babysitter at her high school basketball game. Our next door neighbor was also doing the halftime cheerleading and we wanted to watch her as well. When we first walked in, P was mesmerized by all the people and music. He made me proud when he put his hand over his heart (with my help) for the National Anthem. Once the game started he lost interest...quickly. 5 minutes into the game he was saying "Done". When I ignored him, he started doing the sign for it as well as saying it. I guess he thought I didn't hear him so if I saw him then I'd acknowledge him. I bought him some popcorn and that did the trick, as did the mascot. The Mucker mascot is a teacher or parent that wears jeans, sweatshirt and a big grizzly looking mask. P just stared at him the whole time. At one point the mascot came over and asked for High 5. P licked his hand then slapped the guy's hand. The guy didn't seem bothered by the slobbery High 5. (I watched when he walked away to see if he'd use hand sanitizer- like I would- but he didn't so my guess is he's a parent). After our neighbor did her little cheer routine we left because P was antsy again and I wanted to get home for the NASCAR shootout. In our house we don't celebrate Valentine's Day (aka Hallmark Holiday) but we celebrate the opening weekend of NASCAR. (You can read about my thoughts on tomorrow's holiday....well, tomorrow).
This morning P and I went to the early service. About 10 minutes into the service, our pastor got up to announce that someone in the congregation had passed away. P took that opportunity to shout,"Daddy!". I put him in my lap and told him we'd go bye-bye in a few minutes. Wrong thing to say! He started yelling,"Buh-bye" and waving to everyone. I quickly scooped him up and took him to the foyer where he proceeded to run around and entertain the stragglers out there. He was getting so loud that I finally decided it was best to leave. We came home and read about 7 or 8 books and now he's down for a nap. I should be studying for my exam but when given the choice between studying or writing you know what I'll choose every time.
Stayed tuned to hear about P's first Hallmark Holiday party that's happening this afternoon and my thoughts on the romantic national holiday.......

No comments: