Monday, February 28, 2011

Sopa Box Thoughts

ahem...give me a minute while I take a step up onto my soap box. OK, here goes..... Call me old fashioned but I have some very passionate thoughts about raising kids. I don't know if it's because I was a Child Development major in college or because I'm a teacher and, heck, I don't even know if I'm right or wrong. But Rob and I have to do what we think is best for our child and luckily we agree.
P is at an age where I think it's time to get him involved in a class of some sort. Rob and I discussed the options and felt like it'd be best to check out a gymnastics class for him. However, there was a creative arts class that I wanted to preview. (Here's where I stand a little taller on my soap box) I do not believe in signing up a child, especially a toddler, for so many classes that he/she doesn't have the chance to be a kid. When I went to the class today I was disappointed to say the least. The activities and toys were all things we have (or can have access to for free). There were several kids there that P knows yet he chose to play by himself. I refuse to pay almost $100 for a 6 week "class" just to keep my child busy. I was talking to one mom that said she doesn't care that it doesn't give her child a lot. It's just something to get them out of the house and out of her hair for an hour. I don't get it! There are times when, like all children, P gets on my nerves and I'd like a break. But that doesn't happen often or long enough for me to blow money to have someone else entertain him for me.
On top of that I'm not into kids having video games, hand held or on the TV. I might change my mind at some point but I find it ridiculous when a toddler has an iPod to listen to music or watch videos. I find it ridiculous when an acquantance of mine turns on a video in the car for a 20 minute commute. I know I'm old fashioned and I'm ok with that. I believe in showing my child the world through experience, exploring, books and conversation. So, it floors me when a multitude of "classes" and technology are needed to entertain a toddler.
One acquaintance said she wanted to enroll her toddler in preschool because she feels her child needs more structure and needs to learn academics. I wanted to politely say, "You're child is 2. There is plenty of time for that in life." I feel (and am guilty of this to a certain extent) that parents want their children to be at a developmental and academic level that is well above the norm. I feel, as an educator, that this is not healthy. I am teaching 2nd graders what I used to teach 6th graders 4 years ago. And how are kids/teens/adults turning out these days? They can't add or subtract because they learned fractions and division in 2nd grade instead of math facts. They can't sit still long enough to read a book because of the TV. I get frustrated, as you can tell, that kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore. They can't explore and have fun on their own. It really makes me sad that it's come to this and I can't wait for the pendulum to swing back the other way!
OK, off my soap box....for the time being!