Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Year Later

I guess I have a lot to say today. But I just realized that it was a year ago today that my co-worker's husband died a day after he was hit by a drunk driver. In some ways it seems like it just happened and in some ways it seems like it's been forever since he passed away. I guess it feels like it's been a long time because I've been working closely with his wife, Jaimie, since July. As part of my Kindergarten team it seemed like she was gone more than she was at work. She had told me at the beginning of the year that she was dreading this time of the year not only because of the last of the "firsts" but because her cancer was back...and becoming very aggressive. In fact, she quit the week before I did because the radiation was making her too sick. Quite honestly I'd be surprised if she lived much longer (although she has beat the odds by 5 months already). Hopefully now that the "firsts" are done she can enjoy what time she has left with their 3 boys.


The kid that hit JK was given probation, thanks to Jaimie's pleas to let him off without jail time. As part of his probation he has to help Jaimie and the boys which he's more than willing to do. She's forgiven him and is trying to move on with her life, being surrounded by several friends and family. Please keep her in your prayers as she tries to maintain normalcy for the boys while dealing with her own struggles.

(This is more of a rambling blog that I had anticipated. I had in my head what I wanted to say and somehow this doesn't do JK's death justice. But hopefully you can look past that.)

No comments: