Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 5: My Parents

Today it's easy to be thankful for my parents. They are always there for me, even in the blink of an eye. I can call them and ask for prayer for something and know that, unless I tell them it's top secret, they'll also ask their friends and church to pray as well. Although we've only taken them up on it once as a married couple, they've offered to float us loans in tough times. I can call and ask if we can come for a spur of the moment visit and they don't hesitate to say yes or take time off work to make it a special time together. I call my parents on a daily basis and it never ceases to amaze me that I can complain or vent for 10-15 minutes and never let them get a word in edge wise. But then I'll find out that what they had going on in their lives that they kept quiet about was far more intense than my complaining and venting. They come to town when we ask them to watch P so we don't have to worry about a babysitter, often as the expense of their own plans. They spoil us by routinely sending "Thinking of you" cards, small packages or sweet emails.
Growing up, I thought they were too strict. I took their discipline for granted as most teenagers and young adults do. But now that I'm a parent myself I realize they were strict (not mean) because of their unconditional love for me and the Lord. They wanted my brother and me to be raised the right way. For that and so many other reasons, I am thankful for my parents and the parental guides they are for me today as I raise my own children!

No comments: