Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tis the Season To Not Be a Perfectionist!

Little did I know when I suggested getting a Christmas tree today that the blustery, overcast weather would provide the perfect opportunity to staying inside and decorating for the quickly approaching Christmas season.
I take after my mom in a few ways but one of them is that I'm a perfectionist. HOWEVER, I am not as anal as her about finding just the perfect tree (She once dragged my dad to 18, yes 18, tree lots before finding what she deemed the perfect tree!). So it came as no surprise when we went to Home Depot, asked P to pick out a tree and had it loaded in the back of Rob's truck 5 minutes later. I've never been that picky about Christmas trees because I think even Charlie Brown trees look beautiful once they're up and decorated. One thing I am a perfectionist about is the lights and decorations. I want the lights spaced out perfectly, the ornaments properly placed.....well, until I became 8 months pregnant and had a 3 year old helping me that is. Tonight I started out perfecting the lights but about 1/3 of the way up the tree I just threw them on without a care. Then came the decorating part. P had a heyday with all the ornaments! He quickly chose his favorites and thought they were his toys to play with. After showing him-several times-how to hang ornaments he figured out his job. He's into the "I can do it by myself" phase so once he got on a roll he wanted to place them by himself, lending itself to some interesting tree decorating. Ornaments were backwards, all bunched up, etc. But you know what? For the first time ever, I didn't care if our tree looked perfect or not because I enjoyed listening to Christmas music with him, dancing in between tree decorating. I enjoyed watching him put up the Nativity Scene. And, quite frankly, I could barely move by the time it was all said and done so I wasn't going to complain about the help he was giving me in the least.
It's going to be a fun year with him for Christmas because he's starting to understand what Christmas is about. He gets excited and wants to wear his Mickey Christmas shirt EVERY time we're taking part in a Christmas activity. It's fun enjoying the season through a 3 year old's eyes!



No comments: