Sunday, November 24, 2019

Day 24: Work Ethic

Growing up, I remember that my mom always had a To-Do list by the kitchen phone. As she got things done she'd mark them off. I used to check it throughout the day, amazed that she got so much done. Later in life, I found out that those To-Do lists stressed her out if everything wasn't checked off by the end of the day. What I saw as accomplishments she must've seen as failures. But she and my dad both taught me good work ethic. They were always working on projects or cleaning things around the house. I am thankful that work ethic was instilled in both me and my brother. As a home owner, I always find things that need to be done- weeds being pulled, cabinets being wiped down, baseboards being cleaned, leaves being raked, closets getting organized. I'm sure you get my drift. I am thankful that my mom wrote those To-Do lists because that is something I do as an adult. However, my lists are different. Mine consist of a running To-Do list. I continually write things down until there's no room left on the paper. Then I transfer what's left to do onto a new piece of paper.
As I get closer to retirement age, I worry about retirement, about getting bored. But I see my parents and how they keep busy. My dad is always working around the yard, in his garden or on his boat. My mom is always cleaning or sewing. They give me hope that retirement doesn't have to consist of sitting around all day, watching the paint peal. I know that, because I am like them, I will keep busy with different things. I am so glad they taught me how to work hard and be proud of what I have by keeping it looking its best. I am thankful that, when I hit the pillow at night, I can look back on all that I've gotten accomplished throughout the day, knowing I made the most of my day. I am thankful that I work hard, play hard in life- the perfect balance for me!

No comments: