Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Day 26: Our Neighborhood

Today, and every day, I am thankful for our neighborhood and our wonderful neighbors. A few years ago I don't know if I could have said that because we had moved from an awesome neighborhood full of lots of kids and great people. We moved to a neighborhood which was scarce because of the flood recovery. But now I can say that, honestly, it's one of the things I love about living in Louisiana. We have a neighborhood where I am okay with the boys playing outside, unsupervised. I know that neighbors are watching them and will step in if needed. I also love that there is open land where the boys can explore. Last night P had a friend spend the night (another thing I am thankful for) so this morning they went to explore the Amite River by our house. Now, as much as I trust the boys, I don't want them at the river by themselves. So I did go stay close to make sure everyone was okay. But I loved that they spent about an hour there, using their imaginations and exploring along the river bank. I love that afterwards we walked along the fenced in hunting property to see if there were any wild hogs that we could see. I also love that, at the moment, it still feels like we live in the country. I know that will change as they build a new high school down the road but for right now I'm thankful for where we live. I am also thankful for our neighbors. We have become very close to one family in particular. Our boys play with their son every day and we have been to each other's houses several times for meals. I know that, if I need someone to keep an eye out for our boys while I run errands, I can count on our neighbor. We have been very blessed, with the exception of one house that-thankfully-we only lived in 1 year, to have had great neighbors and great neighborhoods where the boys can play and be boys. For that I am thankful.

No comments: