Friday, June 10, 2011

And....breathe!

It seems, between training for this stupid 1/2 marathon (what was I thinking?), the photo challenge (love that!)and ending the school year I have neglected my first love: writing! So, before the world wakes up around me, I'll take a few minutes to share.
Wednesday was the last official day with students. I thought I'd cry because this was such a special group of students...but I didn't. I made bets with my teaching partner about the students I thought would cry but they didn't either. I guess watching "Finding Nemo" before the final goodbye kind of takes away from the moment. Maybe it's because my teaching partner and I were both there the last day, with the kids, so I held back from getting sentimental like I usually do the last day. Whatever the reason, no tears were shed....at least in our classroom.
One place that tears flowed freely was next door. The lady that taught 2nd grade with us couldn't stop the waterworks. I think it was a combination of stress, the relief of saying good bye to her students that she wasn't fond of and retirement. She had waffled back and forth between retiring this year and sticking it out for one more. But, at the last minute she decided to retire, which was probably for the best.
One thing I lack significantly is patience! I look at people and think, "How can they be so patient with so and so? I wish I could be more like that." But I've tried....and failed. The lady I had taught with, that I'm referring to above, is one I lack patience with, mainly because I don't understand her ways. She will work until midnight (not exaggerating) at school but has nothing to show for it. On more than one occasion she has asked me or my partner to do things for her (easy things mind you that she should be able to do without a problem). Yesterday was the last straw for my patience with her, what little I had left with her anyway. Our classrooms had to be completely packed up because our school is getting renovated. She, however, kept piling things in the adjoining hall and in the student bathroom to the point we were breaking fire code. Her theory was that next year's 2nd grade teacher can deal with it. That is something that irks me in every aspect of life. Don't leave your trash for someone else to deal with! I did a very childish thing (hey, at least I can admit it!) and reported it to the principal because I don't want to unpack and rifle through her stuff at the beginning of next year when it's stressful enough. Long story short, by the time Ashley and I left our classroom the other teacher was at her breaking point, crying. Ashley was MUCH more patient with her than me but I can't say I didn't try throughout the year. I also can't say I'll miss her all that much next year because waiting on her got old.
Speaking of next year, it's up in the air for me. Due to personal issues with my former principal, my standard contract was cut to a one year only. With a $55 million cut to our school district my job may be in jeopardy. The hard part for me is the Waiting Game. I got an email last night from a district big wig saying that jobs will be posted and teachers will be notified sometime this Summer, which isn't standard. Usually all transfers/overages are finalized by now. So, I'll just sit and wait and sit and wait.......
If you're a praying person, please pray for my job security for next year. My job is one thing I truly love about Reno at this point. So I'd really like to keep it.

I guess that's about all. I was able to make it through the blog with only words this time. :) I'm off to run for a few minutes before reporting to my last official day of work. Enjoy this beautiful Friday and the glorious sunshine that finally decided to stick around (at least for us).

No comments: