Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Fear of....

**I wrote this late last night while moths swarmed me, but it wouldn't post. So here it is a day later when the sun is out and my fear has subsided.**

I have discovered I have mottephobia, the fear of moths. Every Fall I forget about it and every Summer, when those pesky little things start entering our house, it all comes back to me. This Summer is the worst my fear's ever been. I think it's because P likes to open the doors- which don't have screens thanks to Ruby- so we have way more moths in our house than usual. I go after them with a vengeance, taking delight in killing them. Then, at night, the moths and their buddies seem to get revenge on me. As soon as the sun goes down, it's like the scary movie music starts. Then the sound of moths follows.....their wings flapping rapidly, their bodies making a thud sound when they hit something. Soon the disgusting little creatures start dive bombing me. I can't read because they're attracted to the light. Then when I go to bed they're close to me, even after turning off the light. I know it's my imagination, but I feel as if moths are in my hair most of the night. I wake up, hear their wings flapping and my blood pressure shoots up. Then I can't go back to sleep because I'm torn between putting a pillow over my head to protect myself or leaving the pillow on the ground so I can still hear P if he wakes up. This is a nightly occurrence and I find myself counting down til Fall again, when I won't have to deal with these disgusting little buggers anymore! Ah, the joys....

No comments: