Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Destructo Doc

When we first got Doc I absolutely loved him. He was gentle with me and kids and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. The problem is that he's not too smart either. Or maybe he's too smart for his own good. Either way, he has been quite the destructive horse lately. It started when he knocked a board out in the corral fence. Luckily Rob had put hot wire around the corral so both horses stayed in, despite having easy access out. After that Doc went to kicking the "barn" slats. Last night I didn't sleep well due to cramping/contractions so I laid there listening to him kick one of the few remaining boards for quite awhile. It's loud to me so I'm waiting for a knock on the door or a phone call from the neighbors one of these nights. As of yet we haven't heard any complaints so maybe they all sleep like rocks or have good earplugs. This morning was the ultimate destruction. I heard Doc making noise around the shed then heard Rob go to feed him before work. I could tell Rob wasn't happy by the tone of his voice. When he called mid morning he told me that Doc had kicked one of the hay shed doors and did quite a bit of damage to it. Rob was able to bang it back enough to close the door to the shed. Unfortunately, after Rob called, Doc went back to kicking the shed. So, I went out there and covered up the doors to the best of my ability with a couple wood slats that Doc had managed to kick off the barn stall. It's too bad that he's starting to be destructive because I think he has the potential to be a great horse. He just doesn't get the time that is required due to Rob working 7 days a week (and me not really being a horse person). So, if you know of someone that wants a project horse let us know. He is a sweet spirited horse that just needs way more attention than we have to give him right now.

No comments: