Wednesday, June 10, 2009

He Idolizes Her




Duke and Holly are starting to bond. Well, let's say Duke is trying his best to bond with the ole' girl! Every morning when Rob gets up for work one of us will take Duke out to do his business. Afterwards he comes into bed with me so I can go back to sleep for an hour or so. I've noticed, however, that he will not calm down and go back to sleep unless Holly is in the room, laying by the bed (She's too big and too old to get up on it). This morning, when I brought him back to bed, he was not settling down for anything. So, finally, I called Holly into the room. As soon as she laid down he calmed down and went back to sleep. If I have him outside to "potty" and he won't go, all I have to do is call Holly out. He follows her everywhere until she does her business, then he happily goes himself. Holly loves to play fetch and Duke loves to watch her. He sits there, mesmerized, as she brings the ball back over and over. (I think it reminds him of his mom since she is a champion dock diver!). When they're inside, he follows her around, often choosing to lay by her for "nap time". If she's laying in the kitchen while I cook, he's often laying close by (He hasn't learned about people food yet so he has different motives than her for being in the kitchen). I think Holly has come to realize that she is a role model to this lil guy! She has become much more tolerant of him in the past day or so, even letting him do things that I scold him for (like biting her tail). Don't get me wrong, she lets him know if she's not happy with him but for the most part they get along. She is even letting him do things that she never let Roxy do like eat from her food bowl and play with her tennis ball. I think this is a sign that we have a good match, two dogs that will become good friends.

No comments: