Sunday, June 7, 2009

Meet Duke





Some people get out of relationships and need to start dating immediately. Some people lose a pet and feel the need to get another one right away. I fall in the second category. It was hard saying good-bye to Roxy, harder than I thought it would be. I cried myself to sleep and woke up crying for over a week and probably will cry more in the future because of it. But, I felt the need to fill the void with a puppy. Several people have given me their opinions on having a puppy right before a baby but it was a challenge we decided to take. So far, so good. We got Duke, who is half black lab- half pyranese. His breed is called a Pyrador or a Labanese. Both of his parents were on the smaller side of their breeds so I am guessing he'll be about 80-85 lbs when he's full grown. Both breeds are good family dogs and Pyranese are coyote hunters, which is great for where we live. Although I am not by any means replacing Roxy, he does some things that remind me of her. He loves plastic water bottles, eating logs and licking the bathtub. He also crosses his front paws sometimes like she used to. Holly is tolerating him but they bonded when she let him take a nap propped up against her. He is full of energy, makes us laugh and loves to explore. I know it will be challenging but it's nice to have 2 dogs in the family.

No comments: