Friday, June 5, 2009

Good-bye Roxy Girl!




My beloved Roxy was put out of her misery this morning after being a constant companion to me for the past 8+ years. It was a hard decision but her quality of life was not good so it was our only option. My heart is broken as she was like my baby but, instead of dwelling on her being gone, I want to think about the many memories with her. Like when I first got her and didn't know you had to regulate how much puppies ate. I overfed her and she turned into a rolly polly. She could barely walk because of her bulging belly that hung on the ground. I remember how excited she was when I moved to the house on Winding Wy. She LOVED chasing the squirrels and chickens. She actually caught a couple squirrels....and a chicken (oops!). I remember how she was afraid of the water for the first year of her life. Then I took her up by Foresthill on Easter. We went for a hike and because it was so hot, she tested the water. Before long I couldn't get her out of it! I would take her to Tahoe and she would be shivering because she was so cold but wouldn't get out of the water until I forced her to. If I was drinking bottled water she would patiently wait until I was done then would play with the empty bottle for hours, sometimes preferring it over her toys. Another thing she liked doing for hours was playing fetch. She would bring you the ball over and over again, even if your arm was tired. Her favorite was her glow ball that was kept at "grandma and grandpa's". When it snowed at the house she would go out and eat the snow or hop through it like a rabbit. She would also eat logs, which would also keep her entertained for hours (even after her gums were bloody!). When we brought Holly back with us, they became quick friends. The only thing they didn't agree on was food. Even up til the end, each would stand guard of her own food bowl. Everything else they shared and they truly were best friends. She was my best friend as well, a dog who would sit with me while I cried, who could make me laugh easily, who would listen attentively without getting up and leaving the room. What more could you ask for? She was my travel partner, preferring SUVs to the backseat of a car. She was also my running partner, helping me train for runs by pacing me. I will miss her tremendously-her sweet disposition, her silly antics, her obsession over her favorite toys, her curiosity, her loving ways. I will miss almost everything about her, but it gives me peace knowing she is no longer suffering. Good-bye my Roxy girl!!

1 comment:

MKR said...

I am sorry to hear about Roxy! I will always remember her doing Rodeo Dog in the living room!